Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 1

Decision: Do a triathlon.

It may seem crazy that it was just a simple decision, but there it is and here I am.  What? -no movie about endurance or courage or even an inspirational magazine article that motivated me?  No, sorry, but maybe there is something about the month of November for me... I quit smoking four years ago in November.  Any astrologists out there to give insight into planetary alignment and my motivation? 

In any event, I hope the reasons do not need to be epiphany-like to get to the end result.  I do know the most important move for me - telling someone else.  Make it a promise to myself, sure, but more importantly, share the news so I can't sneak off and deny it in three months...

So, I've told my daughter and one of my sisters - and now posted it here.  The plan is to blog the whole training process: before/after photos, setbacks, speeds, and achievements that happen along the way.  I'm open to, actually I'm hoping for, tips and criticisms and will let you know the results of any suggestions that I attempt.

Perceived Advantages: 
  • I am pretty active in the outdoors several times a week
  • I used to be very athletic, so running/biking/swimming are not foreign concepts
  • I have a great family – so support will always be available
Known Challenges:
  • Not a great swimmer – I can only recall the basics of a few proper strokes
  • I’m a mountain biker. My very old road bike is not tailored to my frame and probably needs a lot of work– definitely not a great Triathlon bike- but it’s all I have for now
  • I just moved to Utah and I don't have a lot of money to throw at this endeavor
  • Turning 40 has the potential to be such a psychological tumor,  maybe not Hannibal Lecter damaging, but I'd be lying if I said it's just a number
To Do Today: 
  1. Find and register for a triathlon in early spring.  March 7th is my 40th birthday - before or after the big 40?
  2. Buy a scale and get measurements - probably need to shave off more than a pound or two ;-)
  3. Buy swim goggles - maybe some cool reflective blue?  lol
  4. Check out the local gym - maybe join a run club?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erica,

    I love your blog! I know you have already begun to check those items off your list! I will be watching on KSL to see if I can help you find a better bike...Just let me know what to be looking for...

    Idea....We could always rent a bike for the big event!!! : )

    I got your pictures last night, we'll log your measurments and your weight later on this afternoon.

    We'll begin the Endermologie treatments to help boost your metabolism... I'm so excited to see the end results...Menatlly, physically and emotionally...Remember...I love you...and today is the first day of the rest of your life and you ROCK!

    Your sister, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for setting a great example for all of the rest of us to follow. I think I'd better get out and do some jogging. I've been exercising my jaws too much lately! I am in Independence, Kansas preaching in a great church ... been doing some overseas evangelism in West Africa and hopefully Southern India in January 2011. I am very proud of you and thankful for your life ... you are living it soooo well! Keep it up!

    Steve Butler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sis,

    Things are looking good! We are getting closer..... Love you! Gretchen

    ReplyDelete